Обновился список действующих акций на сайте
With more than a million inhabitants, Tbilisi is the capital of Georgia, which became independent from collapse of communism.
City is spread like an amphitheater on several levels, ranging from a minimum height of 380 meters to a 770 m, surrounded on three sides by mountains. The area where the city was founded in the fifth century, rich in hot sulfur springs, that’s it was named Tbilisi that the Georgian language meaning is a warm place.
Throughout the history, Tbilisi was often the point of fight of various antagonistic forces attracted by its strategic occurrence lengthwise the main trade itineraries amid of Europe and Asia.
The Georgian capital has a long and glorious history, reflecting a significant mix of ethnic and cultural diversity, which makes it especially interesting and gives a strong dose of mystery.
A stroll through its narrow cobbled streets, apparent the houses with characteristic carved wooden balconies. In this area, on the right embankment of Mtkvari, is Sioni Cathedral, built between the sixth and 7th centenaries, but today cathedral of the thirteenth century, as amended during the period from the seventeenth to the 19th century. This church is very important because there is preserved a cross of vine, according to legend, delivered to Georgia in the fourth century by St. Nino.
After old town, stands Metekhi Church, built between 1278 and 1289, then rebuilt several times.
The temple stands on the hill where the king Gorgasali erected the first church at the moment of city founding.
In the zone of ancient Abanotubani are sulfur baths, visited in the past by celebrities such as Alexandre Dumas and Pushkin. The domes of structures rise from the ground, because the proper baths are underground. The famous one is an Orbeliany bath, faced with a beautiful blue tile facade.
The oldest church in the capital is a Basilica of Anchiskhati, of the sixth century.
Demonstration of the multicultural history of Tbilisi are Orthodox and Catholic sanctuaries as well as mosques, synagogues and even a Zoroastrian temple, concentrated almost a few hundred meters from each other.
Above the town are the sculpture of Mother of Georgia and antique fortress Narikala. The citadel is located on a high ridge of Sololaki.
Bridge of Peace, opened in 2010, is an elegant performance of modern architecture, designed in glass and steel by the Italian architect Michele De Lucchi, connects the old quarters with a new part of Tbilisi. The cable car, with glass flooring, providing convenient access to the fortress, opens the great views.
Of course the center is full of attractions, of particular interest, and no doubt those who visit this city should take a walk in a leisurely manner on Rustaveli Avenue, where there are such important monuments as the Palace of Russian governor, building of the theater and opera, the Parliament, without forgetting many bars and restaurants.
The city is rich in museums, which contains numerous works of Georgian, Russian and European artists.
The most important is the Janashia Museum, especially for those who interested in archeology, but also for lovers of cultural traditions.
Ethnographic Open Air Museum contains artifacts of culture and life of people of various regions throughout their history.
Tbilisi today, as the entire nation is in a growth phase, despite various difficulties, tourism, is undoubtedly one of the strengths of the city.