Обновился список действующих акций на сайте
Kazbegi Municipality is amongst high rangy regions of Georgia, which is also referred to by its old name Khevi. This territory has been inhabited since ancient ages as evidenced by archaeological excavations and data found in scientific literature of Treasures of Kazbegi. According to historians, up to the XII century Khevi was known as Tsanareti which united the Terek Gorge from the head Truso to the gate of Darial.
According with this, the historical name of the local residents was Tsanarians. In the XII century, as indicated by the historian of Queen Tamar, the segment of Terek gorge from the village to the end Daryali Valley, called Kheavi, and its inhabitants – Mohevy. In the times of Tsanarians were created the monuments of ancient culture, preserved to this days, Christian churches and signal tower.
Mohevi is an ethnic group of Georgian mountaineers. Mostly live in the historic Khevi or today Kazbegi. They speak the mountain dialect and has peculiar features of the culture and life style. Vakhushti Bagrationi characterized them as people of average height and strong build. Together with the hardness and flexibility of the body, they tend to exhibit outstanding physical health.
Typical Mohevians are chubby brunettes, with regular features. They are lovers and defenders of their language. In spite of the fact of having close economic and cultural ties with other foreign tribes of the Caucasus, they not forgetting their mother tongue. Preserving the purity of the native language for them is a matter of honor. They speak slowly and clearly. Along with the clarity of mind they are characterized by ingenuity.
Here are many ancient historical sites and monuments.
There are domed shrine of the Holy Trinity of the first half of the XIV century, three-nave basilica of Sioni of IX-X centuries, the Basilica of Akhaltsikhe of IX century. In Kazbegi still remained the mix of Christian and pagan traditions, especially emphasizes local religious traditions.
Kazbegi municipality consists of four main valleys: Snostskali, Trusi, Tergi and Darial. According to Vakhushti Bagrationi in Truso Gorge in the XVIII century there were only eight Ossetian villages. Presumably, the Ossetians have appeared here in 1290, as in the 40’s of the XIII century, during the rule of Bateau-Khan, in the lower Volga was created feudal state of the Golden Horde, the Mongols then turned into pasture the lands of Ossetians and they were forced to take refuge in the mountains of the North Caucasus.
But it appeared that the meager mountain nature has been inadequate for Ossetians, and they began to descend on the southern slopes of Georgian Mtianeti during the reign of David VIII in 1290’s.
At the foot of the glacier is the Holy Trinity Church was erected in the XIV century. This is an outstanding exemplification of Georgian architecture. In appliance with the old sources the temple was originally built as a monastery complex.
Its functional feature, in addition to the protection of Orthodoxy in the valley, was also in possession of the treasures in times of invasions. There was stored a Cross of St. Nina.
Gergeti Trinity Church appertains to the Diocese of Stepantsminda and Khevi and is situated at an altitude of 2200 m at the vertex of the mountain.
Today preserved domed church of the Holy Trinity, the belfry and built to the southern façade the room, where, as usual, the assembly was held by elders.
Traveling to Kazbegi, you can get here by a safe and comfortable SUVs.
The most significant place in antique history took Darial Gorge. According to legend, the first fortress was built king Mirian I of Iberia in the II century BC.
In the V century the old fortress was restored by Vakhtang Gorgasali. And in the X-XIII centuries role of Daryal increased while through this path Georgia led political, economic and cultural relations with the Nordic countries.