Обновился список действующих акций на сайте
Being disposed in the southern zone of Armenia, Syunik has an administrative center in Kapan and inhabited by about 140 thousand people.
As formed historically, Syunik was amongst the 15 provinces of the Armenian kingdom. In the historical landmarks this area was known by various names. The wealth of the region’s historical heritage evidenced by the many preserved cultural monuments such as, the convent of Tatev and others.
The area of Syunik is predominantly mountainous, but there are ample green areas, as rivers Meghri, Voghdji etc.
Excavations conducted around Lake Sevan confirm that in the period of the reign of King Artashes I in the 2nd century BC, Syunik was a part of early Armenia.
The first dynasty ruled there were a dynasty Siunia, well-known ruler was Naxarar Valinak Siak.
And during the Russian-Persian war in 1804-1813 and respectively after, Syunik was ruled by Russian Empire together with the Karabakh khanate.
In the 20th century, there were outbreaks of inter-ethnic strife between the Armenian and Azerbaijani population, which led to massive victims on both sides.
And after the wreck of the Soviet Union, Syunik became the part of the independent Armenia. Being the southern province, its strategic and economic role was predetermined by proximity to Iran, from where imported vital energy resources.
The province includes 109 communities, of which 7 are cities and the rest of the 102 – the countryside.
Tatev Monastery is disposed 316 kilometers away from Yerevan, in the gorge of Vorotan. Its disposition on a foreland formed by a deep gorge of the river with stones, successfully contributed to its construction. Period of foundation of the cloister is considered the ninth century, and it was constructed on the spot of the tabernacle – the place of the ancient sacrifices.
In the 10th centenary Tatev was inhabited by thousand people and there were several villages belonging to the monastery complex. For the 13th centenary it was significantly expanded and consisted of 680 villages.
As a result of the earthquake in 1931 it had hardly damage, but the basic structures remained. The main monument of the complex is the Church of Poghos and Petros, or Peter and Paul, built in 895-906.
In 1285 was built the church of Surb Grigor. In the peristyle of the monastery attracts an unusual monument of vibrating star – Gavazan – 15 meters high, the goal of which was to frighten the invaders, and that almost always succeeded.
During your trip to the province of Syunik, as recommended by all means to visit the stone pyramids in Goris, Zangezur Mountains and enjoy the indescribable beauty of the Falls of Sheki.